[Olsr-users] Route on repeater nodes sometimes break when gateway node reboots

Ben West (spam-protected)
Wed Mar 26 17:32:14 CET 2014

W/r/t to situations where a gateway node undergoes an uncommanded reboot,
e.g. power fails briefly, is there a preferred approach for ensuring all
repeater nodes w/in that mesh have their NAT states refreshed as needed,
when SmartGateway is in use?

For example, if the repeater nodes detect their selected gateway node
rebooting (i.e. becoming unavailable for a few minutes), or even a new
gateway node coming online, should they restart their local instance if
olsrd in consequence?

Or, would the best approach perhaps be to upgrade to olsrd 0.6.6, using the
same config?  I do see these entries in Changelog that might be useful:

      kernel_route: olsr_os_inetgw_tunnel_route can now take the table
      gateway: let the gateway code determine the tunnel name
      gateway: remove the worst gateway before adding new one
      gateway: add SmartGatewayUseCount configuration parameter
      gateway: use SmartGatewayUseCount setting the the gateway lists
      gateway: add SmartGatewayEgressInterfaces configuration parameter
      gateway: add SmartGatewayMarkOffset{Egress,Tunnels} configuration
         parameters
      gateway: add SmartGatewayPolicyRoutingScript configuration parameter
      gateway: initialise a set of fixed tunnel names in/for multi-gateway mode
      gateway: initialise the egress interface names in/for multi-gateway mode
      gateway: use fixed tunnel names in/for multi-gateway mode
      gateway: setup and clear table specific default routes in/for
         multi-gateway mode
      gateway: setup/cleanup multi-gateway mode during startup/shutdown of olsrd
      gateway: introduce and use MULTI_GW_MODE define
      gateway: enable multi-gateway mode

Besides that, I have now deployed this param to all nodes, and disabled
dyn_gw_plain plugin.  However, it looks like a few repeater nodes (not all,
mysteriously) still see their route to the WAN, beyond the gateway node,
break when the gateway node reboots.

LoadPlugin "olsrd_dyn_gw.so.0.5"
{
    PlParam "HNA" "0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0"