[Olsr-users] OLSR Across Multiple Channel Ad-hoc Networks?

Ben West (spam-protected)
Mon Feb 10 22:16:51 CET 2014

A possibly non-trivial, operational detail that may arise from testing
OLSRd across multiple interfaces, i.e. wired + wireless interface(s), is
that the popular OpenWRT firmware used by most community networks does not
support directly bridging adhoc wireless interface with wired interfaces.
The recommended approach (I think) is to use the *trelay* package in
OpenWRT to have the kernel basically forward packets b/w any such
interfaces that don't otherwise support conventional bridging.  I believe
by creating a named VLAN for the purpose.

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 3:02 PM, Henning Rogge <(spam-protected)> wrote:

> OLSRd easily works with multiple interfaces, being ethernet,
> wifi-networks or any other broadcast capable interface.
>
> Using it in a multi-channel adhoc network is also common procedure in
> lots of Community Networks.
>
> Henning Rogge
>
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 9:50 PM, Duncan Eastoe <(spam-protected)>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > For my undergraduate dissertation I am running tests on a mesh
> > network. I have a network consisting of 6 nodes running OpenWrt. I
> > wish for OLSR to manage the routing between them.
> >
> > All of the nodes are in range of each other, however I need to emulate
> > an environment where the nodes communicate via directed antennas and
> > where they are not in a full mesh. To do this I'm planning to use
> > several ad-hoc networks running on different channels.
> >
> > I'm not sure whether OLSR is able to handle the routing across
> > multiple ad-hoc networks, each of which is running on a different
> > channel.
> >
> > Please could someone clarify this and/or point me to any resources for
> > configuration in such an environment?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Duncan
> >
> > --