[Olsr-users] OLSR disconnets all routes when a interface will be added or removed

Ufo (spam-protected)
Thu Dec 4 00:06:03 CET 2014

Am 03.12.14 um 08:06 schrieb Saverio Proto:
> this was working before with a earlier version of olsrd ?
yes, i also kept an eye on that, over the years there were different
behaviours due to the interface handling / hotplug stuff

* openwrt white russian (f.i. freifunk (leipzig+berlin..) firmware. all
set: openvpn can connect, interface is going up, olsr will work with
that without restart

* some years ago openwrt (kamikaze/AA?):
behaviour was changed badly, so when openvpn/interface was going up the
olsrd DIDNT noticed that. a handmade olsr-restart were solving that problem

* openwrt/olsr since some months:
a workaround in /etc/hotplug.d/iface/50-olsrd was done to ensure that
olsr will notice that new interface.

unfortunatetly thats done by restarting olsr. and with every
olsr-restart there is loss of many seconds within mesh till all routing
tables on that node (and also on nodes in the neighborhood,
2-hop-neighbors...)

better approach would be a nicer handling of tap-interfaces. so olsr
should have a look for these interfaces in config (when starting olsr)
and when (later) the openvpn-tap interface is added this should be used
without restaring olsr (just like in the old white russian openwrt :-o )

> can you git bisect ?
/etc/hotplug.d/iface/50-olsrd

case "$ACTION" in
  ifup)
   olsrd_interface_needs_adding && {
     . /etc/rc.common /etc/init.d/$OLSRD restart

>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> what is wrong with my OLSR client? I run a OLSR on a VPN-Server. I have
>> the devices tap0 to tap28 this devices will be created dynamicly. I've
>> setuped that interfaces in olsrd.conf.

on freifunk leipzig servers we also have olsr over openvpn-tap interface
(to connect the several mesh clouds via olsr)
but all vpn-clients will connect to only ONE tap-interface /
openvpn-server. depending on your special wishes this could also be a
quick solution for you?

--
---
Freifunk Leipzig http://leipzig.freifunk.net