[Olsr-users] Accepting packets from nodes with very old localtime

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Tue May 21 07:36:52 CEST 2013

On 05/20/2013 09:10 PM, Ben West wrote:
> Hi Henning,
>
> Thank you for the explanation.  I do try to use link-layer security
> where available (e.g. IBSS-RSN encryption), but would still prefer to
> retain security mechanisms at other layers too.

Just to tell you, if you use IBSS-RSN the secure-plugin will give you no
additional security at all.

> Since OLSRd seems to still accept incoming packets whose timestamps are
> only a couple years or so out of date,

Hmm... I wonder if this could be an integer underflow/overflow problem.

But a 32 bit integer in seconds should not have this problem. It should
be okay until ~2038.

> I am able to work-around this
> problem by having such nodes run this delightful kludge in
> /etc/rc.local.  This kludge just takes advantage of the firmware
> typically having written recently something to /etc/somewhere/current,
> and strips out the most recent file timestamp.

Henning Rogge

--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE