[Olsr-users] reduce OLSR bandwidth by tuning emission intervals

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Wed Feb 27 08:53:06 CET 2013

The timing parameters only depend on the change-rate of your network.
If your network is very stable, you can get away with longer timings.

Of course to grab an idea from above, a variable timing of the
TCs/HNAs/MIDs would be better.

Henning Rogge

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 8:40 AM, Russell Senior
<(spam-protected)> wrote:
> We have a network of about 60 nodes talking olsr primarily over VPNs.
> We used to see about 10kbps with only IPv4, but it tripled to 30kbps
> when we turned on IPv6 in parallel (~10 + ~20, i guess those 128-bit
> addresses add up!).  Any suggestions for interval parameter tweaks to
> reduce that traffic?
>
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 5:35 AM, Saverio Proto <(spam-protected)> wrote:
>>> [*] RFC 3626 paragraph 18.1:
>>> """
>>>      -    the emission intervals (section 18.2), along with the
>>>           advertised holding times (subject to the above constraints)
>>>           MAY be selected on a per node basis.
>>> """
>>>
>>> [^] http://zumbi.netgroup.uniroma2.it/~clauz/tmp/bigemission3.pcap
>>
>> is it correct that the values in the configuration file are for the
>> OLSR messages generated by the router ?
>>
>> the OLSR messages that are forwarded (i.e. originator id is another
>> router) are forwarded asap without respect of EmissionInterval.
>> correct ?
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> Saverio
>>
>> --

We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still. We have lingured
long enough on the shores of the cosmic ocean. We are ready at last to
set sail for the stars - Carl Sagan