[Olsr-users] A preferred approach to bridging multiple radios/APs to extend mesh

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Sun Feb 3 09:23:50 CET 2013

One good way to do it would be to map each of them onto a VLAN before
you put them onto a common switch, this way you can address each of
them directly.

Henning Rogge

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 5:43 AM, Ben West <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I realize that Henning's draft proposal for the LDEP (quoted below) would
> effectively address the need I describe, but I am curious about existing
> methods available for bridging multiple radios/APs to operate on the same
> logical mesh.
>
>   "Stateless RFC5444-based Dynamic Link Exchange Protocol (DLEP)", Henning
>   Rogge, 4-Nov-12, <draft-rogge-stateless-rfc5444-dlep-00.txt>
>
>     This document provides material for the discussion in the MANET WG
>        about the Dynamic Link Exchange Protocol (DLEP).  This document
>        reflects the authors' thoughts about how a stateless DLEP protocol
>        compliant with RFC5444 could look like.
>
> Because UBNT radios can be quite flexible about how (and more poignantly how
> many) you strap them to a mast with minimal cabling, cf. their Beanstalk
> illustrations, I am curious about wired bridging options between multiple
> APs, and what such options can do to reduce hop loss and/or allow meshing on
> multiple channels.
>
> That is, if you could connect the LAN ports of two radios together, could
> you ...
>
> 1. Mount the radios on the same mast, but facing 180deg away from each other
> (assuming directional antennas), to join two meshes that otherwise don't
> overlap?  This neglects interference from overlapping fresnel zones, but
> there are means to mitigate interference.
>
> 2. Same #1, but imagine now the meshes overlap geographically, yet operate
> on different channels?
>
> Since OLSRd could be (or is) quite capable of routing across hybrid
> topologies like these, and since zealous IPv6 addressing of all nodes could
> eliminate awkward NAT schemes, I'm curious about options for building
> efficient bridges between two APs.  Especially, I'd be curious to hear what
> other OLSRers have done.  How have you seen SmartGateway operate over such
> topologies, for example?
>
> OpenWRT has Layer 3 tools like relayd, but there is also a simpler tool call
> trelay, which looks appealing:
> https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/package/trelay/Makefile
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Ben West
> http://gowasabi.net
> (spam-protected)
> 314-246-9434

We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still. We have lingured
long enough on the shores of the cosmic ocean. We are ready at last to
set sail for the stars - Carl Sagan