[Olsr-users] Problem with IPv6 ethernet mode

Thijs van Veen (spam-protected)
Fri Aug 9 10:59:18 CEST 2013

Hello again,

I've stumbled upon the situation where one of my nodes automatically
gets an IPv6 address from DHCP rather than IPv4. In order to compensate
for this (rather than request/set addresses manually) I've set my OLSRd
configuration to use IPv6.
One of my nodes however is a virtual machine so it has to use an
ethernet adapter.

I've noticed that when starting OLSRd on the VM, it says the following.
(Note that everything is set to its defaults with exception of IpVersion
and Mode in Interface.)

"Parsing file: "/etc/olsrd/olsrd.conf"
IpVersion: 6
Link quality fish eye 0
Plugin: olsrd_txtinfo.so.0.1

Interface Defaultssetting ifs_in_curr_cfg = 0
	Mode: ether
	IPv4 broadcast/multicast : AUTO (d)
	Mode           : mesh (d)
	IPv6 multicast           : ff02::6d
	HELLO emission/validity  : 2.00 (d)/20.00 (d)
	TC emission/validity     : 5.00 (d)/300.00 (d)
	MID emission/validity    : 5.00 (d)/300.00 (d)
	HNA emission/validity    : 5.00 (d)/300.00 (d)
	Autodetect changes       : yes
	IPv4 broadcast/multicast : AUTO
	Mode           : ether
	IPv6 multicast           : ::
	HELLO emission/validity  : 0.00/0.00
	TC emission/validity     : 0.00/0.00
	MID emission/validity    : 0.00/0.00
	HNA emission/validity    : 0.00/0.00
	Autodetect changes       : no
Warning, niit4to6 device is not available, deactivating NIIT
Added :: to IP deny set
Added ::1 to IP deny set

 ---- Interface configuration ----

Checking eth0:
	Not a wireless interface
No interfaces detected! This might be intentional, but it also might
mean that your configuration is fubar.
I will continue after 5 seconds..."

When I set IpVersion back to 4, OLSRd starts with no problem.
Because it's an ethernet adapter, changing the Mode to "mesh" probably
makes no sense, and OLSR knows this. With IPv4 mesh:

"Checking eth0:
	Not a wireless interface"

On my other node (which prompted the IPv6 thing), I can change the mode
from "mesh" to "ether" to produce a similar error.

"Warning, niit4to6 device is not available, deactivating NIIT
Added :: to IP deny set
Added ::1 to IP deny set

 ---- Interface configuration ----

Checking wlan1:
        Wireless interface detected
Checking wlan2:
        Wireless interface detected
No interfaces detected! This might be intentional, but it also might
mean that your configuration is fubar."

Using the wlan in either mode works fine when using IPv4, as does "mesh"
mode in IPv6, suggesting the problem has to do with a combination of
IPv6 and "ether" Mode.

I would think the mode gets set back to its default (mesh), resulting in
OLSR rejecting the non-wireless VM interface. However, if this were the
case, it should still be working on the other node, which does function
with IPv6 mesh, instead it rejects those two interfaces as well.

I can work with the IPv4 version, but I still think this issue might be
worth investigating.

--
  Thijs van Veen
  (spam-protected)