[Olsr-users] Debian/Ubuntu package updates

Ferry Huberts (spam-protected)
Tue Apr 2 20:56:24 CEST 2013

On 02/04/13 20:18, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> For basically any sizeable distro, there is a 'stable' release and a 'current'
> release.
>
> For squeeze/stable, only security or total breakage bugs can be fixed, and
> only with very targetted patches.  That's basically the same with
> wheezy/testing, since its about to be released.  For unstable, I can put
> whatever version in, and that will also be included in the upcoming Ubuntu
> release.  experimental can have anything, and nothing relies on it.
>
> I uploaded 0.6.3-6 to unstable so it gets included in Ubuntu/raring.  Its very
> well tested at this point.  Once 0.6.5.2 gets more testing, I'll push it to
> unstable.

By your own reasoning you can push anything into unstable.
So push the latest from the release branch in, that's what it's for.
I can assure you that the release branch is quite stable and well tested.

And if there are patches Debian is shipping with that are not upstream
it's A Very Good Idea to try to upstream those patches.

We did that with OpenWRT too and it's a win-win

@Henning: do the current 4 patches on the release branch warrant a new
release?

--
Ferry Huberts