[Olsr-users] Getting ad-hoc mode on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean

Hans-Christoph Steiner (spam-protected)
Tue Aug 7 16:59:12 CEST 2012

On 08/07/2012 10:17 AM, Stephan Moczygemba wrote:
> Hi Hans-Christoph,
>
> thanks for your quick response! So I guess the OLSR howto didn't work
> for you as well, right? I tried your manual approach using LilDebi but I
> haven't been able to install Debian yet. I may try Ubuntu instead,
> because there are guides for the Galaxy Nexus out there.

If you want a quick start, download the pre-built Debian image and put
it on your /mnt/sdcard on your phone.  Then Lil' Debi will find it and
use it.  The install process is a lot more fragile than the start/stop
process.
https://github.com/downloads/guardianproject/lildebi/debian-squeeze.img.bz2

But I think I also fixed the bug you reported, if you want to try that.

> I also installed the Mesh Tether app. I tried to start an AP (by simply
> pushing "start") and find it using a Windows XP laptop, no success. Also
> the other way around, i.e. the laptop created the ad-hoc network - my
> phone did not find the network. Attached you will find the ddms log.

Can you outline how you got adhoc mode working on your device?  Then we
can capture that in MeshTether and make it part of the automatic process
of the app.

> I need a more or less stable ad-hoc network and routing scheme to
> implement service discovery approaches on top - this would be the topic
> of my master thesis. Currently, I try to figure out whether this can be
> done without a deep knowledge of linux :)

That is very much the goal of Commotion MeshTether, and its already
there for a number of phones.  It also reads mesh "profiles" from config
files, so its easy to configure MeshTether to work with just about any
mesh network:
https://code.commotionwireless.net/projects/commotion/wiki/MeshTether

.hc