[Olsr-users] Question about listed HNA networks and "active" olsr interfaces

Eric Malkowski (spam-protected)
Wed Oct 12 15:55:06 CEST 2011

Teco-

Yes -- the enet is a normal subnet, and not like mesh interfaces where
different hosts on the same subnet can be "distributed" and thus the
need for host routes at layer 3 so the various hosts on this
"distributed mesh subnet" can be found (and whatever HNAs they want to
advertise) etc.  In my case typically only the mesh hosts themselves
(the single address present on ath1 at each node) needs to be reachable
(plus their HNAs) and no-one else is on the "mesh" subnet that doesn't
do active OLSR (in my case the 10.5.0.X/24 subnet where X is simply the
node number).

For the ethernet -- it's a normal subnet and it's desired for it to be
an HNA so anyone w/ a DHCP address on that subnet can be reachable
everywhere (since OLSR won't make host routes for the various DHCP
clients!).

It's also desired to have OLSR active on the ethernet so it extends the
the mesh subnet across a wired segment that brings the two "halves" of
the mesh together -- it's great the OLSR just work across ethernet much
like it does through wireless setups in ad-hoc mode w/ hidden nodes
etc.  On enet there are never hidden nodes, but clearly that's not a
problem for OLSR.

I've also accomplished the same thing (gluing two subsections of mesh
together) with an OpenVPN tunnel in the "tap" mode -- OLSR is active on
the tap interfaces at each tunnel endpoint (tap can do broadcasts which
is great feature of OpenVPN).  Since there's obviously no DHCP or
anything on the tap interface -- just the two tunnel endpoints, the
subnet used by openvpn on the tap interfaces never needs to be an HNA.

This year on the large outdoor mesh we do in the Cambridge / Boston Mass
area for the Head Of The Charles Regatta we have some nodes on tall
buildings that create an entire mesh, but we also have a couple of
backhauls with VPN as a backup to "glue" two sections of the mesh
together in case one more more of our nodes on the tall buildings fail
etc.  It's really working well.

Lastly -- I use the dyn gw plain feature so I can have a separate script
with policy routes out my internet backhauls do ping checks to 5
internet sites that should be reachable if said internet connection is
alive.  As long as one of the 5 sites respond, it considers the internet
connection good and just adds a default route.  dyn_gw_plain notices the
default route and advertise it to the mesh.  When the script sees all 5
sites unreachable, it removes the default route and dyn_gw_plain notices
this so the node can try to get a default route from somewhere else in
the mesh.  Some sites have 2 internet connections and my script simply
prioritizes the "better one" when both connections are available.  For
that node to seek a default route from the mesh, both internet
connections at that site need to go down.  That has worked very well for
us too.

-Eric