[Olsr-users] Problems with the quagga plugin

Vasilis Tsiligiannis (spam-protected)
Mon May 16 19:04:08 CEST 2011

Στις Δευ 16 Μαΐ 2011 11:07:40 Damien Miliche γράψατε:
> The gateway is well in the radio range, and if I run OLSRd without quagga,
> the (gateway) routes do properly appear in the routing table.

I understand... I use OLSR with subnets but this particular issue is in my
knowledge.

> As I said in my previous post, I think the problem comes from the "Quagga
> BUG Workaround" in the quagga plugin, that does not distribute routes where
> destination = gateway to quagga. And indeed, when I comment the "return
> 0"-workaround, the routes for the directly reachable nodes do appear in the
> routing table. However, still the other routes are marqued as inactive,
> even if now proper routes for the gateways exist.

This happens because Quagga considers nexthops which are recursively reachable
as inactive. I beleive this assumption is correct with classic subneted
routing but fails in MANETs. Since olsrd-quagga plugin is attempting to bring
these two "worlds" in contact, we have to find a solution which breaks none of
them.

One solution is to treat host routes the same way as directly connected routes
which are always considered valid nexthops. But this would mean more Quagga
modifications which I'd prefer to avoid. AFAIK, Quagga makes an exception on
the de-activation of recursive routes in iBGP networks. Maybe we could use the
same mechanism to "activate" OLSR routes.

--
Vasilis Tsiligiannis
Silverton Electronics