[Olsr-users] Documentation / Use-case on SrcIpRoutes setting, IP addressing in OLSRd MANET network

Markus Kittenberger (spam-protected)
Thu Jun 23 20:27:10 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Henning <(spam-protected)> wrote:

> On Thursday 23 June 2011 18:57:59 Aaron Daubman wrote:
> > I know olsrd will also create a loopback with the main ip address set
> > if SrcIpRoutes is enabled... this didn't really help me put together a
> > scenario where this would be useful, though...

hmm you are curious about what the srcip mode can be used for?

in general, always when u want to define the ip originating traffic of the
node shall get,..

Normaly OLSRd takes the IP of the first interface as the main IP. Now
> imagine
> what happens on a "source route" OLSRd if this interface would go down.
>
> Even with other interfaces up, your node would not accept the incoming
> traffic
> anymore.

are u sure about this henning?

imho the source ip of the routes is just used for traffic originating the
node,..
so incoming traffic is for sure not affected,.

but as soon as an ip address is removed completely from a system, the kernel
will delete all routes that used it as source adress,..
so all olsrd routes are gone,..

and no new ones can be created with this source ip,..

thats why the ip used as srcip, is configured on lo aswell,..

but as the user can still delete it from there, this is still not
foolproof,..

Markus