[Olsr-users] [Olsr-dev] configuration for static ethernet links between nodes

Markus Kittenberger (spam-protected)
Sun Jan 23 13:17:03 CET 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 12:54 PM, fboehm <(spam-protected)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to mount three or four OLSR-nodes with sectors antennas on a big
> building to extend an OLSR network. The nodes are interconnected through
> a simple ethernet switch. Perhaps later on also endusers are accessing
> the olsr network through this switch.
>
> I can use a /29 private subnet for the switched network to prevent
> enlarging the routing tables.

imho regarding olsrd its makes no difference if u run on /32 or on /29 or on
/24 or ...

as olsrd will not propagate "network routes" (unless you manually specify
them as hna), ..

so the olsrd routing tables are not affected by whatever netmask you use,..

> Or is it better to use /32 addresses for
> the ethernet interfaces like it's typical in olsr networks?
>
> Another question is, if it is necessary that the ethernet interfaces
> send each other regularly HELLO messages because the switched ethernet
> network is static at all. But I think it's also no problem if they do.

i think you should have enough bandwidth for the hellos

there is an interfacemode ether, that reduces the amount of messages (but
not the number of hellos) , as it will not "retransmit" messages learned
from an ethernet device back to other neighbours on this interface

> Does someone have a typical olsr configuration file for such a setup or
> any hints or internet links for me?

hmm there's a special link_metric plugin to improve routing with ethernet
links involved, that could interest you,..
"ff_eth" afair,..

just moved to olsr-users,... *G

Markus