[Olsr-users] Inquiry!

L. Aaron Kaplan (spam-protected)
Thu Jan 13 06:31:06 CET 2011

John,

On Jan 13, 2011, at 2:38 AM, John Tobias wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an setup like this:
>
> DeviceA - The wireless is enabled, connected it to a standard wireless router
> Wireless Router - Running on a standard firmware
> DeviceB - The wireless is enabled, but not connected to wireless router
>
> I would like to know if I can use the olsrd to run on DeviceA even the DeviceA is connected to wireless router. Then, the DeviceB can connect to DeviceA in order to access the outside world.

Yes, that is possible. However, please bear in mind, that for DeviceB to "hop" via DeviceA to the outside world, two things must be ensured:

a) DeviceA must announce a default route (HNA 0.0.0.0  0.0.0.0 in the olsrd.config file) (and you maybe have to NAT in case you have a different IP range) and
b) DeviceA and DeviceB must be somehow connected. Now, you mentioned that DeviceB is not connected to the "Wireless Router" (standard firmware), but DeviceA is.
You need DeviceB to talk to DeviceA on layer 2 somehow: either LAN cable or an extra Wi-Fi card on DeviceA (and DeviceA and DeviceB are in ad-hoc mode) or (for atheros cards) a virtual AP [1]

I hope it helped.

Aaron.

[1] http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/UserDocs/MultipleInterfaces