[Olsr-users] OLSR in Android...a good idea?

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Fri Sep 17 07:49:26 CEST 2010

On Thu September 16 2010 23:16:22 Mitar wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 10:53 PM, Henning Rogge <(spam-protected)>
wrote:
> > This should be a good sollution for smartphone based programms,
> > especially because we don't need public IPs for the nodes.
>
> Question is how far you want to push mesh networking. I think we
> should not limit ourselves to closed (private) networks. Yes, MAC
> based autoconfiguration is good enough if there is no server to give
> you public IPv6 around. But this should be a fallback to still allow
> communication in split (closed bubble) mesh network. But if there is a
> gateway to some other network (like Internet) there is a good idea to
> run AHCP server on this same gateway, which would give nodes IPv6
> addresses from its IPv6 range. I believe this is the future.
I don't think we will get IPv6 on UMTS/Edge/CDMA soon. At the moment there
seems to be no chip that supports IPv6 for them, and they would have to be re-
certified to support it.

So if we want to share the online connection, we have to use IPv4. This might
be a reason to use AHCP, but only to handle the address allocation in a
private IPv4 range, we have to use NAT anyways.

I'm not sure how/if AHCP handles the IPv6 prefix delegation for gateways at
the moment.

The more important thing is that we need to think about a way to tune our
protocols for both cases (wired/mobil) without the need of configuration for
the user.

Henning Rogge
--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE