[Olsr-users] [Olsr-dev] Strange debug message from olsrd

ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto) (spam-protected)
Sun Oct 10 13:20:10 CEST 2010

> I would like to hear more about that. How do you achieve WDS
> interoperability between nodes? Is this standardized on 5 GHz? So you
> just put all backbone nodes into WDS and they interconnect? Like
> ad-hoc?

yes, it is standard in 802.11. There is a special 802.11 frame with 4 addresses.

it is not like ad-hoc, a WDS link is point to point, so what you do is
you tell on each side of the link the MAC address of the other side.

in ad-hoc when you send a broadcast frame any receiving station will
pick up the frame. A WDS link is more like a pipe between the two AP.
I'm not even sure how to configure a correct setup with OLSR+WDS.

http://www.uniroma2.it/didattica/rat/deposito/rat-0910-07-v4.pdf

have a look at slide 34 and 35 (the all presentation is worthed
reading if you are not familiar with 802.11 addressing)

Saverio