[Olsr-users] [Olsr-dev] OLSRd release 0.6.1

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Sun Nov 28 18:45:14 CET 2010

On Sunday 28 November 2010 17:50:49 Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sonntag, 28. November 2010, Markus Kittenberger wrote:
> > So you prefer releasing squeeze with an more than one year old olsrd
> > version, containing several severe bugs? #0
>
> if the alternative is to release squeeze without olsrd, yes.
I am not sure about this. We have been working hard on fixing bugs in OLSRd
the last 12 months. Every time you fix one thing that makes the daemon run
better, you discover other small problems that were not triggered before.

I am not sure I am happy with the idea to make lot's of debian users think
"whats a crap, it doesn't work".

> Is 0.5.6.r7 so broken that it's not usable?
Yes and no...

it contains a number of bugs, including one memory leak somewhere with MID
messages and some problems in the routing setup of linux.

The memory leak was always there, but it got worse enough with 0.5.6-r7 to be
noticed (it got worse by accelerating the detection of interface settings of
your neighbors).

The problem is that the linux kernel changed the semantics of a few important
(important for OLSRd) proc-file entries in kernel 2.6.31. This bug was fixed
with 0.5.6-r8 I think. Without this fix OLSRd will not run right on this
kernels. We had to build in a direct check of the kernel version to fix it.

See http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/9/14/256

Henning Rogge

--
1) You can't win.