[Olsr-users] Current OLSR protocol

Hilton Garcia Fernandes (spam-protected)
Sat May 23 00:58:34 CEST 2009

Hi, Damian,

a thread in olsr-dev gave some hints on what you're asking. I'm also a
newcomer to OLR that asked similar questions there and ppl were kind enough
to answer. I point you to their archive, at
http://lists.olsr.org/pipermail/olsr-dev/

It looks like MPR doesn't scale very well for larger networks. So, our small
APs wouldn't handle large networks. For instance, the ones in Berlin and
Vienna, with hundreds of APs.

Probably there's a threshold where MPR is still usable.

The olsrd group did a refactoring of their olsrd code (yielding olsr-ng), what
yielded large speedups. It seems MPR is still in the code, but they dedicated
most of the optimization time to routing protocols like OSPF.

Part of the scaling problems were in the poor implementation. The experience
of olsr-ng group can be read
http://marvin.funkfeuer.at/~aaron/olsr-ng.pdf

All the best,
hilton

--
Hilton Garcia Fernandes
Nucleo de Tecnologias sem Fio (NTSF) -- Wireless Technologies Team