[Olsr-users] Current OLSR protocol

Damian Philipp (spam-protected)
Fri May 22 15:46:57 CEST 2009

Hello,

I'm currently gathering some information about available routing protocols for mesh networks for my diploma thesis. So far, I have found rather confusing things about OLSR. From http://www.olsr.org/?q=background I gathered that most of the optimizations to get olsr working were code improvements. However, https://www.open-mesh.org/wiki/the-olsr-story paints a somewhat different picture with inherent instabilities in the original concept of olsr which is why they started over with BATMAN.

>From what I've read on the freifunk homepage, olsr is still widely in use on freifunk networks. I'm guessing that they are probably using the latest stable olsrd from olsr.org. However what I have not been able to find out is what protocol the current implementation from olsr.org is using. Is it still RCF-3626 compliant or does it rather contain all the optimizations from the C-Base people, thus breaking RFC compliance?

As part of my thesis I will have to experiment with some extensions to the OLSR protocol. In order to be able to design those, I'd like to know the protocol I'm actually using ;-)

I did find the OLSRv2-Draft at http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-08.txt. This however still contains Multipoint relays, which as mentioned on open-mesh.org seem to be (have been?) one of the bigger issues -- thus my confusion.

Thank you in advance,
Damian Philipp