[Olsr-users] FIBMetric field in OLSRd 0.5.6-r2

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Mon Mar 23 15:08:29 CET 2009

On Montag 23 März 2009 00:07:36 Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> > I think the setting tries to use the hopcount of the target as the "cost"
> > value of the routing entry, which nerver worked really well
>
> It also doesn't make a lot of sense.
It was done to allow some kind of "export" of OLSR routes to other routing
agents (by reading the routing table).

> Kernel routes (FIB entries, in Cisco parlance) carry a numeric field, known
> as the ``priority'' under BSD and the ``metric'' under Linux.  They are
> a useful tool to administratively define preferences between routing
> protocols -- say, prefer static routes to routes learned from OLSR to
> routes learned from RIP.
>
> It does not make a lot of sense to make the kernel priority equal to the
> OLSR hop count.
I never said it was a good idea... but that was the intention why it was
included in the code years ago.

I'm not sure FIB metric will be in the 0.5.7 release if it's stabilized. ;)