[Olsr-users] FIBMetric field in OLSRd 0.5.6-r2

Juliusz Chroboczek (spam-protected)
Mon Mar 23 00:07:36 CET 2009

> I think the setting tries to use the hopcount of the target as the "cost"
> value of the routing entry, which nerver worked really well

It also doesn't make a lot of sense.

Kernel routes (FIB entries, in Cisco parlance) carry a numeric field, known
as the ``priority'' under BSD and the ``metric'' under Linux.  They are
a useful tool to administratively define preferences between routing
protocols -- say, prefer static routes to routes learned from OLSR to
routes learned from RIP.

It does not make a lot of sense to make the kernel priority equal to the
OLSR hop count.

                                        Juliusz