[Olsr-users] FIBMetric field in OLSRd 0.5.6-r2

Bhat, Ishwara (spam-protected)
Tue Mar 17 07:58:59 CET 2009

Hi,

Please tell what is FIB Metric - Forwarding Information Base Metric. I searched the old threads and found the description below. However I still could not follow it.

Is this setting about the actual IP routing table content vis-à-vis the contents of OLSR's repository?

Thanks,

Ishwar

"""

On Fre, 2008-02-08 at 13:24 +0900, David Murray wrote:
[....]
> I just have a few questions about the configuration options in olsrd 5.5.
>
> 1. What is the FIBMetric? Is FIB an acronym for (Forwarding Informatoin
> Base)? What is the difference between flat, correct and approx.

Yes.
flat: every route gets "2" if the route is send to the kernel. This
avoids route changes just because the metric of a route changed and it
isn't necessary anyway.

correct: The metric on "ip route" is always the correct one.

approx: olsrd sets the correct metric but doesn't update because because
of route changes. So the metric value "ip route" is not necessarily
correct.

"""

This e-mail, and any attachments thereto, are intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is illegal and strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify me by telephone and permanently delete the original and any copy of any e-mail and any printout thereof.