[Olsr-users] Current OLSR protocol

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Tue Jun 2 19:52:46 CEST 2009

Am Dienstag 02 Juni 2009 19:27:28 schrieb Juliusz Chroboczek:
> Henning Rogge:
> > I think one of the reasons for the OLSRv2 Drafts is the feedback from
> > real world mesh nets and problems with the first specification,
>
> > OLSRv2 is NOT a new protocol, it's an improvement on the old one in
> > terms of complexity [...] You could run an OLSRv2 compatible routing
> > daemon with nearly the same code as the OLSRv1
>
> Am I right in understanding that you contradict yourself?
No... there wasn't much feedback between the olsr.org implementation and the
OLSR research community until a year ago. There has been LOT's of research
work on routing metrics and hazy linkstate protocols, that's why both . There
have been talks about problems with multiple interfaces (which can be a lot
worse than topology desynchronizations).

Solving the problems of packetloss can either been done on the link layer or
on the routing layer. I know both sollutions exist, so that might be the
reason it's not in the main specification. Please don't forget that OLSR is
NOT designed especially for IEEE 802.11.

Henning Rogge