[Olsr-users] Current OLSR protocol

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Tue Jun 2 08:17:05 CEST 2009

Am Tuesday 02 June 2009 02:13:38 schrieb Juliusz Chroboczek:
> Much as I dislike Elektra and like you, Aaron, I think there's no
> denying that there is a lot of anecdotical evidence that naïve
> link-state, as embodied by OLSR, does not work well in wireless mesh
> networks.

When the development of the OLSR RFC began (OLSR Draft v0 was published in the
end of 1998), there was no cheap consumer hardware to test adhoc networks, so
must of the new ideas were tested in simulations. One common radio model for
simulation (even today !) is tworayground, which gives you perfect
transmissions up to a certain range (and none after this point). Of course hop
count metrics work very well in this kind of simulations.
(I looked through some drafts, but was unable to find a v0 draft for a mesh
net protocol on the IETF page before 1998)

I think one of the reasons for the OLSRv2 Drafts is the feedback from real
world mesh nets and problems with the first specification, especially the lack
of support for routing metrics, the difficulty to add stuff to existing OLSR
messages without breaking compatiblity and the MID messages (which ARE a pain
in the ass because of synchronization issues).

Similar to many other mesh net protocols the development of OLSR did not
stopped with the RFC.

--
Henning Rogge

Diplom Informatiker Henning Rogge
Forschungsgesellschaft für
Angewandte Naturwissenschaften e. V. (FGAN)
Neuenahrer Str. 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Tel.: 0049 (0)228 9435-961
Fax: 0049 (0)228 9435-685
E-Mail: (spam-protected)
Web: www.fgan.de
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bonn
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bonn VR 2530
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Maurus Tacke (komm. Vors.), Prof. Dr.-Ing.
Joachim Ender (Stellv.)