[Olsr-users] olsrd test-bed

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Mon Jun 1 10:29:14 CEST 2009

Am Montag 01 Juni 2009 10:10:34 schrieb Liam J. Foy:
> Hello folks,
>
> We're looking at trying to create a test-bed using olsrd on four virtual
> machines (using OpenVZ). However, documentation is hard to find. Could
> someone point us to some good documentation? Any heads up when using
> OpenVZ? If anyone has experience with this kind of setup we would be
> happy to hear from you.

you will find all information about OpenVZ on their webpage:
http://wiki.openvz.org/Main_Page

With OpenVZ (or other virtual machines like KVM, XEN, VMWare) each VM will
install one or several pseudo-ethernet devices on your host-machine, that
connect to the interface inside the VM.

"All" you have to do is to connect them.

The easiest way is to use a linux network "bridge" to connect them and use
ebtables to control which VM can hear a specific VM. This way you can only
emulate perfect links.

Theoretically you could use the tc (traffic control) command of linux and the
"netem" (network emulator) inside the kernel to emulate packet loss and delay
on a link. If you get this running please contact me, I would like to use tc
too.

Another method to connect the VMs would be using a userspace tool to connect
the virtual ethernet ports. You will find a small tool for static networks in
the contrib directory of the OLSR repository. Another option might be the MANE
emulation software of the NRL (http://cs.itd.nrl.navy.mil/work/mane/index.php)
or similar network emulation software.