[Olsr-users] compile error in olsrd-0.5.6-r3

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Thu Jan 29 21:50:34 CET 2009

On Donnerstag 29 Januar 2009 21:35:08 Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
> On Mit, 2009-01-28 at 21:06 +0100, Henning Rogge wrote:
> > On Mittwoch 28 Januar 2009 04:33:08 you wrote:
> > > I too faced compilation problem with r3.
> > >
> > > I am on Fedora core 9.
> > >
> > > Gcc version:  Redhat Gcc 4.3.0-8
> > >
> > > So I am going with r2 for now.
> >
> > Great... it seems the bison generated parser we used in 0.5.6 (we don't
> > use it anymore in tip) does not work for the new GCC...
>
> 4.3.0 is not really new (as it was released 11 months ago). 4.3.3 would
> new.
> And newer gcc's tend to have better optimizers and error checking so one
> gets new warnings for "old" code simply because the old gcc didn't
> detect it.
> Perhaps the bison is new(er) than before and generates different code or
> has different templates (as olsrd doesn't ship the flex and bison
> generated files which would probably be the simplest solution to that
> problem at large).
I can reproduce the problem with gcc 4.3.3 on my gentoo system... switching
off -Werror only for the automatic generated parser was enough to let olsrd
compile.

> > Sorry, this bug will take a few days, if you can just use an older gcc or
> > remove the line
> >
> > WARNINGS +=	-Werror
> >
> > from Makefile.inc as a temporary sollution.
>
> Yes, just get rid of the "-Werror" at least to compile the generated
> file(s) and ignore the warnings.
> Chances are quite low (read: IMHO practically 0) that bison generates
> faulty parsers (as that would probably mean *lots* of affected apps).
See the patch I posted on this list a few mails ago... it contains a makefile
change so we can switch off Werror for the parser and keep it for the rest of
the code. I think this might be a good patch for the stable branch, the
problem will go away with the next mayor release because the bison-parser is
gone...