[Olsr-users] Dynamic / Manual route selection in case of bad route

Michael Rack (spam-protected)
Fri Feb 27 09:50:44 CET 2009

Hi List,

i use OLSR to announce my public switched IP-Adresses over 3
DSL-Connections with different connection-speeds and different
connection-types.

* First DSL-Connection is wireless connected by 2048 / 2048 kBit.
* Second DSL-Connection is wired SDSL connected by 2048 / 2048 kBit.
* Third DSL-Connection is wired ADSL connected by 4096 / 1024 kBit.

I use OLSR to manage my up- und download-directions with the WEIGHT-Flag
in the olsrd configuration-file.

Here is my Problem: My first DSL-Connection sometimes have packetloss or
results in a high roundtriptime. The clients behind my Router can access
the internet but have a bad connection.

I like to deselect my first DSL-Connection in OLSR to stop routing
through this device without downtime...

> Interface "bond0" "bond1" "bond2"
> {
>   HelloInterval       2.0
>   HelloValidityTime   6.0
>
>   TcInterval          2.0
>   TcValidityTime      6.0
>
>   MidInterval         2.0
>   MidValidityTime     6.0
>
>   HnaInterval         2.0
>   HnaValidityTime     6.0
> }
>
> Interface "bond0"
> {
>   Weight          1
> }
>
> Interface "bond1"
> {
>   Weight          3
> }
>
> Interface "bond2"
> {
>   Weight          5
> }
My currently solution is to use netfilter and add a rule to drop packets
on bond0 arrives / sent on port 698. After 6 seconds, my route-table
changes as expected.

> iptables -A INPUT -i bond0 -p udp --dport 698 -j DROP
> iptables -A OUTPUT -o bond0 -p udp --dport 698 -j DROP

But this is a bad solution?!?

Is there a other way to deselect an interface for routing-reasons,
without any downtime?

OLSR should check the the interface quality (missing hello-messages,
triptime of hello-messages) and then select a better interface that have
the best quality.

I don't like to be a fulltime admin for the manual network-selection.

The B.A.T.M.A.N Project selects the perfect interface by collecting
informations about the interface quality (missing packages, packet trip
time and so on).

In final i need "weight" to prefer bond0 for upstream. On the other side
of the VPN i prefer bond2 for upstream. So i can get 4096kBit download
over ADSL and 2048kBit upload over Wireless.

regards,
Michael.