[Olsr-users] AHCP

Roar Bjørgum Rotvik (spam-protected)
Wed Feb 25 14:28:42 CET 2009

Henning Rogge wrote:
> Am Wednesday 25 February 2009 10:16:06 schrieb Outback Dingo:
[...]
>> it really shouldnt matter what brand the router is, as Ive never seen MAC
>> duplication by vendors. Has anyone ?? Someone flip me a
>> working configuration to look at.
> If a vendor would produce a colliding MAC he is doing something wrong.

I have seen for myself a MAC collision between two Ethernet cards from
the same vendor. We had problems with traffic on a LAN and after some
debugging we discovered that two of the cards had the same MAC address..
     We needed to change one of the cards to fix things. I don't
remember the vendor. But it is possible, even if it is very unlikely.

But some causes for duplicate MAC:
1) Bug in provisioning the cards from the manufacturer.
2) Reuse of the MAC address space, as each manufacturer gets a range of
MAC-addresses and may reuse the MAC addresses when the range is used up.
How often this happens I don't know.

--
Roar Bjørgum Rotvik