[Olsr-users] NOW SIMPLEST EXAMPLE: OLSRd - can't understand routing

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Mon Feb 23 14:49:27 CET 2009

On Donnerstag 19 Februar 2009 01:31:07 Derek C wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Ok - I'm still at this and here is the simplest example of all - it
> happens when two multi-homed OLSRd nodes are close enough together for
> their customer antennas to chat together and it is taking preference over
> the backhaul route: -
Sorry that noone replied do your mail earlier, but let's see what we have got
here...

> GATEWAY OLSRd SERVER - 5.0.0.1
>

>  ETH0       ETH0         ETH0
>  5.1.0.1   5.1.0.2      5.1.0.3
>  OLSRd1    OLSRd2       OLSRd3
>  5.2.0.1   5.2.0.2 ---- 5.2.0.3
>  ATH0        ATH0          ATH0
>
> This is what is happening to me:  Above you can see that the 2.4Ghz
> customer omnis on ATH0 interfaces can chat to each over (5.2.0.2 and
> 5.2.0.3) due to being around 800 Mtrs from each other
How do you use the eth0 interface ? Is it an additional OLSR interface or do
you just define a HNA domain ?

If it's an HNA it might explain your problem, because OLSR is not designed to
use HNA as shortcut to other parts of the OLSR mesh. You have to use it as
mesh interface too or build up a VPN tunnel through the backbone between the
OLSR instances (which will then be used as an additional OLSR interface).

> As a result a "traceroute -n 5.2.0.3" from the gateway OLSRd server
> (5.0.0.1) gives the following: -
>
>  1  5.1.0.1  2.466 ms  3.047 ms  3.039 ms
>  2  5.2.0.3  8.326 ms  8.993 ms  9.000 ms
>
> I want the routing to go via the eth0 interfaces as its the better faster
> backhaul (5.8Ghz point-to-point) route.

What happens if you just use the backbone links as  additional OLSR interface
(which will have a nearly perfect ETX value I think) ?

> Is there a way do correct this?
>
> thanks very much,
Could you maybe post your olsrd.conf and the version of your olsrd routing
daemon ? This might help...