[Olsr-users] help clarifying layers and levels, please ...

George Sanders (spam-protected)
Sun Dec 6 23:31:52 CET 2009

Hello,

I am researching meshes/MANETs, and the accompanying 802.11s/HWMP/olsr/etc.

Before asking any specific questions, I wonder if someone could point me to some proper OSI diagrams that I cannot find - specifically:

- can someone draw, or direct me to, an OSI diagram showing an 802.11a/b/g/n network using plain old vanilla 802.11s + HWMP (no OLSR) to support an IP network ?

Then, for comparison:

- can someone draw, or direct me to, an OSI diagram showing an 802.11a/b/g/n network using ONLY OLSR (no 802.11s) ... ?

Finally, in my research I came across this very interesting conversation from 2006:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/manet/current/msg08218.html

and I wonder, has that question:

"I agree, but we may still be able to pull it off without having to messup the stack."

been answered yet ?  Or is there still argument over whether or not some implementations require "discussion"
between components on different OSI layers ?

Thank you.