[Olsr-users] Running applications on top of OLSR

Markus Kittenberger (spam-protected)
Tue Dec 1 22:20:39 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Ayan Roy-Chowdhury <(spam-protected)> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> (I am not sure if this issue has been addressed here in the past -
> please pardon in case of repeat.)
>
> We are running olsrd in a wireless emulation testbed of 60 nodes.
> We have a custom application that sends and receives data packets
> and computes various metrics like packet loss, delay, throughput.
> We would like to use this application to analyze the performance of
> olsrd on our testbed.
>
> My question is: how do we ensure that when the application sends
> data, it is forwarded by the olsrd interface on the source node,

i think u have the wrong idea what olsrd is.

olsrd is an routing daemon, it does not deal with the traffic itself (i mean
olsrd DOES NOT forward any packets itself), your OS does, and olsrd only
feeds/maintains your OS routing table.

furthermore olsrd provides no special interface, your OS uses the existing
interfaces to forward packets.

so you application does not need to do anything special, just make an ip
based connection as you would if you want to connect a server on the
internet, or another machine in you local network,...

the only difference when using olsrd is that the routes that your OS uses to
determine how it forwards your application data packets are not obtained by
dhcp, or based on your static network configuration.

regards Markus