[Olsr-users] olsrd overhead

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Thu Apr 9 10:03:12 CEST 2009

Am Thursday 09 April 2009 08:59:01 schrieb Hannes Gredler:

> >> 8 bytes, because we include a message type (to be able to use the same
> >> stuff for other message types later).
> >
> > Why not have a single message type followed by a sequence of 6-byte
> > entries ?  You could be even more efficient -- sort the router-ids
> > lexicographically, and only store the deltas between successive ids, as
> > I do in Babel.  (Think IPv6.)
OLSR TCs overwrite their old information, so I see not much use for delta
information. It doesn't matter how old your information is, you just need the
new one.

> that would make sense, agreed. we are still able to change the packet
> format, as the gin as not out of the bottle yet ...
I think we can skip it, especially if we look at OLSRv2. We can set attributes
for whole address ranges without wasting space every times in packetbb (the
olsrv2 packet format). Oh, and we get address compression (ipv6 ! :) ) too. ;)

> >> Will need additional work to run smooth
> >
> > No doubt about it.  It's a new protocol.
> >
> > Please keep me informed.
I would say it's an extension, because it works well together with old
clients. ;)

Diplom Informatiker Henning Rogge
Forschungsgesellschaft für
Angewandte Naturwissenschaften e. V. (FGAN)
Neuenahrer Str. 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Tel.: 0049 (0)228 9435-961
Fax: 0049 (0)228 9435-685
E-Mail: (spam-protected)
Web: www.fgan.de
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bonn
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bonn VR 2530
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Maurus Tacke (komm. Vors.), Prof. Dr.-Ing.
Joachim Ender (Stellv.)