[Olsr-users] olsrd overhead

Juliusz Chroboczek (spam-protected)
Wed Apr 8 20:24:57 CEST 2009

>> Whose ANSN/originator address do these beacons contain?  Only the sender's?

> No, all ANSN/originator combinations stored in it's topology database. This
> way the node can tell it's neighbors what part of the topology it knows and
> how "fresh" it's knowledge is.

Ah, smart.  So in short you flood a summary of the link-state database very
frequently, and have some new kind of message to explicitly request
reflooding of part of the database, right?

Now, I'd expect one summary entry to take 6 bytes, which means that for
a 100 node network, you'd be spending 600 bytes/s of traffic for distributing
summaries.  Which is definitely reasonable.

I'm wondering if you couldn't completely do away with periodic flooding of
TCs -- TC flooding would only happen upon a topology change, or be
triggered by explicit requests, when a node detects that there is some data
that it doesn't have.  Assuming aggressive duplicate suppression, this
could be fairly efficient.

Looks like a sexy protocol.

                                        Juliusz