[Olsr-users] Meraki's distance display - very nice

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Mon Sep 29 08:45:11 CEST 2008

Am Montag 29 September 2008 02:19:44 schrieb Derek C:
> Hi Henning,
>
> I thought that perhaps with dynamic ACK (like in the Ubiquity HAL for
> madwifi) it might be possible to estimate the distance based on the
> automatic timings.
I'm at least a little bit sceptic about this. To measure the distance between
two nodes you have to consider the speed of microwaves in the air, which is a
good approximation to the speed of light. At a distance of 300 meters you
have a transmission delay of just 1 mikrosecond, so ANYTHING in your hardware
and software must have a measurable or known delay measured in nanoseconds.

WLAN cards don't have timers with nanosecond resolution and the most modern
cards are a softmac design, which do a lot of stuff in software... which will
add a random delay too.

> Still though - Meraki have it working now (down to metres) and its nice to
> look at - it seems quite accurate although I haven't actually taken to
> pacing out the distances between known nodes.

Most likely they are using more than the timing to measure the distance. See
if you get higher distance if you put a thick wall between the radios.

Diplom Informatiker Henning Rogge
Forschungsgesellschaft für
Angewandte Naturwissenschaften e. V. (FGAN)
Neuenahrer Str. 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Tel.: 0049 (0)228 9435-961
Fax: 0049 (0)228 9435-685
E-Mail: (spam-protected)
Web: www.fgan.de
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bonn
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bonn VR 2530
Vorstand: Dr. rer. nat. Ralf Dornhaus (Vors.), Prof. Dr. Joachim Ender
(Stellv.)