[Olsr-users] ham radio and community wifi

Bob Keyes (spam-protected)
Thu Oct 2 05:51:05 CEST 2008

any ham radio users on this list? I've got my license. I am trying to
revive the slowly dying ham radio club at my university. It's got a lot of
resources but not many members, and is particularly short of
undergraduates. It's the oldest club in the US (centennial in 2009), the
Harvard Wireless Club (W1AF). I am thinking that the club can attract new
members by expanding its projects in terms of datacomm, particularly by
branching out into areas which are not ham radio per se, such as
community wifi.

Those of you who are University students may want to see if you have a ham
radio club. Most universities which are medium or large do, particularly
if they are schools with a strong engineering program. Colleges known more
for liberal arts often have ham radio clubs, but they are often
atrophying. I recall that the Dartmouth club was in danger of death.

I have to repeat, that this club has an amazing amount of resources (radio
gear, test equipment, computers, space, money).

-Bob N1YRK