[Olsr-users] OLSR Basic Block Diagram

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Tue Nov 18 13:59:17 CET 2008

Am Tuesday 18 November 2008 13:31:59 schrieb Bhat, Ishwara:
> Hi,
>

> I have very basic questions on OLSR. This is what I understood from RFC,
> OLSR_Report document and also from code study. Please tell me if I'm
> right or wrong:
>

> 1.	OLSRd continuously watches the network and keeps updating
> kernel's routing tables. (In the next version of OLSR there would be
> optional specified RT table. But this is only for debugging)
The OLSR.org routing daemon never touch or even see unicast traffic on the
net, it just care for it's own UDP broadcasts on Port 698.

Each OLSR.org instance sends out it's own packages on a regular basis and
forwards packages (if necessary) for other instances.

(I would count this answer as "yes, you are right")

> 2.	Let us say we have  a data packet originating at an external
> machine and is destined to an IP address which is part of OLSR mesh.
> Such a packet / originator need not be concerned about the existence of
> OLSR at all.
No, it doesn't even have to know about the OLSR network... it would just
depend on

1.) a static route on the external machine to the subnet of the OLSR network
2.) a HNA entry in the OLSR network so there are routes to the external
machine inside the mesh

>         If I care only about routing packets to static IP addresses,
> then I do not need to do anything at all. (I do not even need to get
> basic management information. So no need for even txtinfo plugin).  Is
> this correct ?

You need route settings for your external machine. Without the HNA entry the
OLSR nodes will not know the route to your external machine, without a routing
entry on the external machine it will not know the way to the OLSR mesh
network.

Diplom Informatiker Henning Rogge
Forschungsgesellschaft für
Angewandte Naturwissenschaften e. V. (FGAN)
Neuenahrer Str. 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Tel.: 0049 (0)228 9435-961
Fax: 0049 (0)228 9435-685
E-Mail: (spam-protected)
Web: www.fgan.de
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bonn
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bonn VR 2530
Vorstand: Dr. rer. nat. Ralf Dornhaus (Vors.), Prof. Dr. Joachim Ender
(Stellv.)