[Olsr-users] optimal wireless settings for olsrd performance

Mark Kelly (spam-protected)
Sat Mar 15 07:01:03 CET 2008

is there any way to determine the optimal settings for the wireless
cards in a olsr mesh?  I've been setting up an independent mesh network
with about approximately 15 modes and these node sit within about a 1
square mile area.  Each of these nodes is using an Avila GW2345 router
board (ixp425 @ 533mhz) with Atheros radios.

I've noticed from time to time that if the nodes get placed close to
each other I end up with lots of collisions and poor overall network
throughput.  Now if I set a node approximately 1.5 miles away, the same
settings do not work and I have to tweak them once again, even though I
have really good signal strength (35-40 rssi).

The main settings I've been adjusting is the RTS setting, and most
references I've found to it, set it to around 250 B,  they also
recommend a fragmentation setting of 256.  The 250 RTS setting seems to
work great when the nodes are concentrated, but very poorly at long
distances.  I haven't had much luck at all with the fragmentation
setting.  While it seems to actually work and I can ping the nodes, if I
try to ssh into any of the nodes it never works.  I also have cameras on
these nodes and I cannot stream with the fragmentation setting turned
on, or at least I haven't found a frag setting that lets me stream.

Anyone got any pointers of references to guides for optimal ad hoc
settings?