[Olsr-users] MIC metric [was: Mesh Networks Research Group]

Jens Nachtigall (spam-protected)
Thu Jun 26 08:57:20 CEST 2008

Am Donnerstag, 26. Juni 2008 07:17 schrieb Henning Rogge:
> Am Donnerstag 26 Juni 2008 04:45:24 schrieb Juliusz Chroboczek:
> > Thanks a lot for the pointer.  The complete reference is
>
> If you have good ideas about implementing it, just post them. At the moment
> we are still in the planning phase. The move to MIC will have to wait until
> we switch to OLSRv2, because the new packet format is much more extensible.

In the technical report there is some fairly straight description on how to
implement it:
http://www.cse.yorku.ca/course_archive/2006-07/F/6590/Papers/yang2.pdf
(page 9 and 10).

I think you would need quite a few changes to olsrd in incorporate MIC.
* 1st you have to have ETT
* Then you need your own routing table for each incoming interfaces (I think
only linux support this)
* TC messages must include all links of a node (atm, they only include the
best link to a neighbor afaik)
* You must construct an isotonic (virtual) network tree from the non-isotonic
real one; and calculate SPF for each interface you have.

Just from memory, there a few minor things more. This means imho, that the
metric would not just be pluggable but require quite a few changes to the
core. But it is feasable ;-)

jens