[Olsr-users] MIC metric [was: Mesh Networks Research Group]

Juliusz Chroboczek (spam-protected)
Thu Jun 26 04:45:24 CEST 2008

>>> There are isotonic channel aware routing metrics...

>> Do you have a pointer?

> I remember a paper about something called "MIC metric".

Thanks a lot for the pointer.  The complete reference is

    Yaling Yang, Jun Wang, and Robin Kravets, "Interference-aware Load
    Balancing for Multihop Wireless Networks," Tech. Rep. UIUCDCS-R-
    2005-2526, Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at
    Urbana-Champaign, 2005.

Another interesting article by the same authors is

    Y. Yang, J. Wang, and R. Kravets, "Designing routing metrics for
    mesh networks," Proceedings of the IEEE Workshop on Wireless Mesh
    Networks (WiMesh). IEEE Press, 2005.

I haven't finished the article yet, but the metric is not isotonic, as
I expected.  (Diversity is an intrinsically non-isotonic property,
there's just no way around it.)  To quote the tech report cited above,

    Although MIC is not isotonic, our novel routing protocol,
    named Load and Interference Balanced Routing Algorithm
    (LIBRA), can create a virtual network from a real network
    and decompose MIC into isotonic link weight assignments on
    this virtual network.

I'll let you know more when I finish reading the paper.

                                        Juliusz