[Olsr-users] Multi-card Nodes

aaron (spam-protected)
Thu Jul 31 12:59:25 CEST 2008

(moving this again to olsr-users@ ...I believe it is interesting for many)

Derek C wrote:

(Discussing the MIC metric)

> Hi,
>
> The document at
> http://www.cse.yorku.ca/course_archive/2006-07/F/6590/Papers/yang2.pdf is
> not exactly light reading that's for sure...

:)

> Is everyone currently using single card [backhaul or backhaul+client]
> OLSRd networks?  Do you not have problems with either needing to get lots

no, we do have multiple interfaces and multiple cards from time to time.

> of direct Internet feeds into the Network somehow or else suffer major
> throughput problems with chained single radio hops?

no, just make sure that you run lots of independant channels from your
central uplink.
Funkfeuer.at is providing BW to the whole network via one single uplink.

c.f.: https://maps.wireloss.net/funkfeuer/

(unfortunately you need to log in to get a complete picture of all links
and signal qualities).
Anyway, you can see nicely that we basically run a network of this size
with one single uplink.
There are DSL uplinks (connecting via VPNs to the main one) but these
are more for redundancy in case there is a blackout somewhere.

a.