[Olsr-users] OLSRd Scailability

aaron (spam-protected)
Thu Jul 31 12:17:47 CEST 2008

Derek C wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm sure this has been discussed a lot before but I can't find out
> anything exact on the net.
>
> Is there a scalability "wall" with OLSRd?
>
> Apart from MESH issues with bandwidth supply and hops with single AdHoc
> radio cards is there other factors that limit the number of operational
> nodes like routing table propagation time & size ?

ad routing table sizes: well...
over here:

viviroof:~# ip route list | wc -l
502

and
olsrd used to run on this node for without problems:

[(spam-protected) ~]$ netstat -rn | wc -l
261800

So, I don't see a problem why it can't deal with overly large routing
tables.

ad wifi links:
One very *serious* issue that you have to be very careful about in my
experience is:
you have to control the amount of free airspace that is available for
wifi packets.
Otherwise you get to many collisions in the air. And then your
throughput drops dramatically.

a.