[Olsr-users] Route convergence time: a function of scale?

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Wed Dec 10 17:23:38 CET 2008

On Tuesday 09 December 2008 22:31:54 Breno Jacinto wrote:
> > thats mostly a matter of the average TC origination in your network.
> > at funkfeuer.at (app. 400 nodes) i get 90% of all the routes after 30sec.
>
>     Thanks for the information. That gives me an idea of how long
> would it take to converge the routes.
>
>     But, then it may mean that 10% of that those routes are not
> up-to-date. See, I was wondering if a simple "ping <some ip>" would be
> a reliable mechanism to assure if an IP is available or not. But that
> would be true if, and only if, I could be certatain that all routes
> are converged after a period of time, to every node (like the 30s you
> mentioned).
"Not up to date" mean (most times) you still have the right routing
strategy... in olsr you don't need a perfect routing decission most times, you
just have to forward a packet towards it's destination... so most
desyncronizations are no problem... (not all of them)