[Olsr-users] Route convergence time: a function of scale?

Breno Jacinto (spam-protected)
Tue Dec 9 22:31:54 CET 2008

Hello Hannes,

> |      My question is how long would be this delay, and if there is any
> | study or practical experiments that demonstrating how long it takes
> | for everyone become aware of a joining node. In small scale networks,
> | of course this isnt much of an issue.
>
> thats mostly a matter of the average TC origination in your network.
> at funkfeuer.at (app. 400 nodes) i get 90% of all the routes after 30sec.

    Thanks for the information. That gives me an idea of how long
would it take to converge the routes.

    But, then it may mean that 10% of that those routes are not
up-to-date. See, I was wondering if a simple "ping <some ip>" would be
a reliable mechanism to assure if an IP is available or not. But that
would be true if, and only if, I could be certatain that all routes
are converged after a period of time, to every node (like the 30s you
mentioned).

    In any case, I'm pretty sure now that flooding an address request
(and another protocol for that...) is necessary, such as the case of
Pro-Active Autoconfiguration (PAA -
http://www.olsr.org/docs/report_html/node179.html), to assure that the
address is not really being used.

   By the way, in your funkfeur.net mesh, how are nodes joining the
network? The configuration remains fully static?

regards,

:: Breno Jacinto ::
:: breno - at - gprt.ufpe.br ::
:: FingerPrint ::
   2F15 8A61 F566 E442 8581
   E3C0 EFF4 E202 74B7 7484
:: Persistir no difícil é a única maneira de torná-lo fácil algum dia.  ::