[Olsr-users] IPv6: Using link-local all-hosts multicast address ff02::1 instead of ff0e::1 with Linux?

Joerg Pommnitz (spam-protected)
Wed Aug 20 11:45:17 CEST 2008

Hello all,
I'm trying to use ff02::1 instead of the default ff0e::1 as multicast
address for OLSR in IPv6. Unfortunately I always get "Network is
unreachable".
Besides the code in olsrd-0.5.3 I tried the following modifications:
1) use sendmsg instead of sendto. With sendmsg one can add a control
message to the data and specify the interface to use for the outbound
data. This is what ping6 uses ("ping6 ff02::1" fails while "ping6 -I
interface ff02::1" works as expected). Unfortunately that did not work.

2) set the sin6_scope_id to the desired interface index. No joy either.

Now I'm out of ideas. The reason I'm trying to use a link local address is
that nrlsmf routes any non link-local multicast packets and floods them
through the MANET. This is obviously not what we want, but I can't really
blame nrlsmf.

So, any ideas or suggestions?

--
Regards