[Olsr-users] Channel Selection for Multi Radio OLSR

David Murray (spam-protected)
Tue Aug 12 10:48:53 CEST 2008

Quoting Benjamin Henrion <(spam-protected)>:

> I was thinking to have one of the 2 atheros radios in VAP mode, one
> VAP in ad-hoc and one VAP in monitor mode, in order to collect data
> about the environement, and then the host sends proposals for channel
> switching at a precise time (routers needs to change the channel in
> sync) to other nodes via OLSR UDP packets (using the OLSR extensions
> mechanism).
>
> But at the end of the day, it would be easier to rewrite the MAC layer
> to do similar hopping as Bluetooth does, as most cards are softmac
> now.

Thats a good idea. Originally I was just using the background scanning
mechanism of Madwifi to make decisions about channels. This did not
work for me because I found that the conditions, and also the reporting
of conditions was so dynamic. For this reason, my mechanism TDCS
basically uses the routing protocol as a metric.

With the approach you have proposed, you might also need to think about
how nodes will ensure they are still connected to a gateway when they
do these channel switches. So how to prevent network partitions.

Dave