[Olsr-users] Using multiple radio cards

Derek C (spam-protected)
Sat Aug 9 23:36:03 CEST 2008

Hi Aaron,

I might be wrong here but I'm now thinking that the issue is down to a IP
"Level 2" vs "Level 3" mesh setup - in more detail: -

If the meshing is done at the network connection level (level 2) (node to
node connections) then multiple frequencies can be used (where the
"station" node hunts for the best "ap" node and connects to it).

If the meshing is done after all the nodes are on the same single
frequency then its all down to IP routing (level 3).

I'm happy enough with this.  I'm now going to go back to my DIY AP --> STA
work and try to improve on it (where every node works out the best signal
APs out there and also works out the least used frequency and picks it for
its own "AP" radio card).  I'm keen now to see if OLSR can work with AP
--> STA radio setups rather than adhoc which would allow fast
re-connections if an STA's AP was changed [by a daemon running in the
background] (I can't see any reason why OLSR won't work in an AP-->STA
configuration) - this has a big advantage over OSPF in that the nodes
(rather the node's radio interfaces) can all share a really big subnet
rather than have lots of seperate /24 subnets each).

I'll keep working on this...

thanks,

Derek

On Sat, August 9, 2008 7:58 pm, Kaplan L. Aaron wrote:

>> This would mean one OLSRd / adhoc node could be 100 metres from
>> another but if the frequencies are not the same - no communciations.....
>>
> derek, no... the distance depends mainly on the antennas that you use.
>
> and you need to plan the links a little bit (like making a freq plan is
> not a bad idea).
>
> a.

Derek C
In Ireland