[Olsr-users] Using multiple radio cards

Benjamin Henrion (spam-protected)
Sat Aug 9 13:12:59 CEST 2008

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Victor <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Hey,
>
>> There still is the problem with adhoc networking - separate nodes will
>> only see neighboring nodes if they are on the same frequency.
>
> Well yeh, of course neighbouring nodes will have to be on the same channel
> in order to communicate. But the idea is that you have a backbone channel
> that is used to shuttle data between customers and the internet gateway.
> Then the secondary radios in the node are used to communicate with the
> customer/client and can really be on any channel they like (as long as its
> not the same as the backbone)

Normally the config you describe should be supported with the new MIC metric.

Even if you have multiple channels and the fastest path is changing
channel at each hop, OLSR keeps routing packets on the same channel.

MIC should be based on the SNR value, and I hope someone is working to
get this value out in user space for most radio chipsets. This is not
easy, especially when ad-hoc implementations are clumsy for most
drivers. SNR values have to be displayed per neighboor in ad-hoc also.

--
Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-4148403