[Olsr-users] Using multiple radio cards

Derek C (spam-protected)
Thu Aug 7 21:42:16 CEST 2008

Hi again Aaaron,

On single radio [backbone] mesh systems - part of the advantage to the
adhoc / olsrd network is that the nodes "see" all nearby neighboring nodes
so can route via them as necessary.  This must be necessary (important
anyway) for routing via new (better signal / less hops) nodes as they
appear and for resilient links.

If two radio cards are used and two channels are used then nodes would
have to be programmed with the channel to use (per radio card, etc) as
they are going out for installation but without any automated channel
selection it would be just like having separate olsrd networks wouldn't
it?

Before dabbling olsr I was trying out my own perl based scripts to find
neighbors - I was using AP and STA cards (not adhoc networking) but this
was flawed because I couldn't work out safe routes to gateway nodes (only
routes to nearby strong signal neighbors) but in a way it was good because
I always had unique frequencies.

If you are using separate radio cards and separate channels would you just
manually structure your "hybrid" network or is there any other intelligent
options?

thanks for any information

Derek

On Thu, August 7, 2008 7:36 pm, aaron wrote:

>> How did you approach this with multiple radio cards and frequencies?
>>

> I would just use multiple cards / radios in that case.
>

> a.

Derek C
In Ireland