[Olsr-users] ETX

David Murray (spam-protected)
Fri Nov 30 02:26:49 CET 2007

> On Nov 27, 2007, at 9:19 AM, David Murray wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a couple of questions, I hope no one minds me asking two at
>> once.
>>
>> Firstly, I am playing around with the dot draw plugin at the moment.
>> Does this plugin simply output the routing table in a format that can
>> be drawn by the dot program? I am not complaining, It seems to work
>> really well, but I think that if you are outputting the routing table
>> from the perspective of one node then you are not getting the entire
>> topology. It seems to me that you will only get the best path to each
>> node in the network from the perspective of one node. Is this correct?
>
> yes, an inherent property of link state protocols. you can say "alas"
> or "thank god!" depends on your perspective :)

Great, thanks for the response!

>> Another question I have is about the use of ETX (Expected Transmission
>> Count). Since the work that introduced ETX
>> (http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/papers/grid:mobicom03/paper.pdf) there have
>> been improvements proposed such as ETT (Expected Transmission Time).
>> This seems to improve ETX by adding the ability to measure bandwidth
>> (described http://research.microsoft.com/mesh/papers/multiradio.pdf).
>> Surely the ability to inculde bandwidth into the metric would be a
>> good
>> addition. Is there any reason why ETX has not been adopted by OLSR? Do
>                                   ^^^^^ you mean ETT here?
>> people not want the added complexity or are there technical reasons
>> why
>> it wouldn't work.
>>

> In fact, we are already discussing integrating ETT into olsrd.
>
> care to help?
>
> a.
>
> (hehe: i might quote bernd now and say "send patches" )

I' would be happy to help in any way possible. My c is not great as I
have abandoned it for a few years. But I will start digging through the
code this weekend. It might be that the only useful thing I can do is
help with discussion and testing (I have a 4 node testbed, each node
consisting of two radios) but as I said before, Im happy to help in any
manner possible.

Cheers

Dave