[Olsr-users] OLSR Pro Active autoconfig news?

John Hay (spam-protected)
Thu Nov 15 13:33:54 CET 2007

> > What other choice would i have?
> > I thought about using the MAC and, if it's available on the device,
> > IPv6 but i wish i could simply use a plugin instead of generating IPs
> > that way and needing to have IPv6 added if it's not there...
>
> Implying that the mesh runs on IPv6. While olsrd is officially
> "IPv6-ready", it is IMHO not completely up to the last (in-tree) plugin
> there and I seriously doubt that the core is 100% bug free in the IPv6
> field (grep for inet_ntoa and inet_aton) as I know of no mesh which
> actually runs IPv6[0].

Our mesh runs IPv6 only... at least on the wireless side. People needing
the legacy protocol :-) needs to tunnel it over our mesh. I know that
most of the plugins do not support IPv6 yet, but I have been fixing that
as we need them. :-) You can see a dot_draw view of our mesh network at:
http://stats.meraka.csir.co.za/mesh/pta-mesh.html

> For IPv4 you need duplicated IP address detection and an automatic
> solution of that. And IMHO you actually need it for IPv6 too: MAC
> addresses are in theory globally unique. I doubt that this is true in
> practice given the vast numbers of sold network cards. And some clown
> may change the MAC address at any time - if only to try it out or trying
> to become a cool hacker or continuing some personal fight.

What we have done is to use a single /64 subnet for the wireless side
and then use the last 2 bytes of the MAC as the subnet on the ethernet
side. So each ethernet have its own unique subnet. Seems to work ok for
our size network.

John
--
John Hay -- (spam-protected) / (spam-protected)